Frequently Asked Questions
Why should we travel with Tasmanian Safaris?
1. We are the original camping tour operator in Tasmania and have been in operation since 2002.
2. We camp in great locations and get to see the local wildlife from camp rather than staying in hostels in towns.
3. All main meals included, We use good quality, fresh local Tasmanian produce where available. We enjoy a range of meal styles. Many operators do not include all evening meals to save money.
4. Fully insured and accredited – There have been many cases on some new operators not having proper transport accreditation which means clients would not insured in the case of an accident.
5. We support local businesses with our food and camp site locations. This means the money spent on tour is of benefit to a wider range of the Tasmanian community.
6. Our guides do just that: Guide. They will accompany the group during all but the shortest of walks to share their knowledge of the area rather than getting to the car park and saying “meet back here in an hour”.
7. Giving back: Selected tours participate in the Green Guardian Program. An initiative of Parks and Wildlife Tasmania, we will collect, remove and classify marine debris on coastal locations.
8. Green Travel Leader: In recognition of being ECO certified for over 10 Years.
9. Time: Simply put there is enough time to experience a location. Common sense dictates that if you try to do the whole state in 5-6 days rather than 10 your going to miss out on a lot in between.
10. Tasmanian owned and operated business: Not part of a mainland travel/tour chain.
Why should I book direct rather than with an agent?
By booking direct you enable us to better plan our business and to reinvest in people and equipment. With an average industry commission rate of 25% direct bookings enable us to keep the overall prices tour down.
If you have a genuine reason for needing to change dates we will be happy to move you to another date/tour free of charge.
What is included in the price?
1. All main meals from lunch day 1 to lunch on last day (feel free to bring snacks or buy them along the way).
2. Tents/Cabin accommodation on tour.
3. National Parks entry, transport, activities listed in the itinerary.
4. Accommodation or camping fees.
5. Tour guide(s).
What is not included?
1. Alcoholic drinks, fizzy drinks (a small amount can be brought along on the first day), snacks.
2. Take away tea & coffee (you will be able to make your own at camp).
3. Accommodation or transport if you choose to spend extra day at Tasman Peninsula or Cradle Mountain.
4. Cost for coin operated showers – most are free.
What style of sleeping areas to expect?
We move camp site most days and will use a variety of locations where we will have fixed tents or an area for your own tent.
Our tents are a twin share basis and if you are travelling on your own you will share with someone of the same sex. Most camp sites will have toilet facilities and some may have a showers check the detailed itinerary for each tour.
What to expect at camp?
We will arrive at camp between 1pm to 5pm depending on the day and variables. Once we arrive your guide will explain where the facilities are. Then we unload the trailer starting with your sleeping mats/swags and any personal bags and take them to the sleeping areas.
Your guide will then advise you what to do next. You may be free to explore the area or depending on the time of day & weather this may be helping setting up the kitchen area/kitchen tent or helping prepare a the next meal. We encourage participation in these activities as the more time you save setting up camp the more time you all have to explore.
What to expect from and typical day?
Wake up call will be between 6.30 to 7.30 and your guide will discuss this with you the night before along with plans for the day.
Please come and have breakfast before you pack up your personal belonging or sleeping area. Breakfast will be a choice of cereals, yogurt and bread. Tea and coffee will be available at camp kitchen as required.
Lunch may be at camp or on the trail and will be, bread wraps and fresh salads with sliced meat options Dinner will be a range of meal styles or influences. They will use fresh Tasmanian produce where possible.
Don’t worry, it wont be BBQ every night. Vegetarian and most other dietary requirements are easily catered for if we are advised before the tour begins. We ask for details during the booking process.
Do you offer hire gear?
Yes we have a range of equipment for hire from, wet weather gear, to day packs or camping packages, please contact us for more details or check the detailed tour itinerary.
Do you accept credit cards?
Yes. We accept the following credit and debit cards: Visa, and Mastercard. Other payment methods may be possible by arrangement.
We are well prepared for all sorts of weather conditions. Some sites will have shelters for eating. If you don’t have your wet weather gear with you can hire it from us in advance when you book.
In most cases it is possible to slightly change to order of the day to get the best from the conditions. If there are weather warnings issued for the locations we plan to visit we reserve the right to alter the itinerary for safety reasons
Do you require a deposit and cancellation policy?
A deposit of 30% must be paid to secure a booking. The balance of the tour price must be paid at least 15 days prior to departure.
The following fees apply in the event of booking cancellations: 15 days – 30 days notice 30% of tour price, 7 Days – 14 days notice 50% of tour price, 36 hours – 6 Days notice 80% of tour price, Within 35 hours 100% of tour price.
Date changes can be made free of charge as long as there are minimum numbers for the new date requested
Do your tour guides speak languages other than English?
The tours are conducted in English, Individual guides may speak additional languages. Specific translators such as Chinese may be available at extra cost for some tours but advance notice is required. Please contact us if you need further info.
What should we bring on our tours?
Each tour has a “what to bring” list. We recommend to always bring sunscreen, camera, hat, walking shoes and warm comfortable clothes.
Do you offer group discounts or multiple tour discounts?
Yes, we offer a 10% discount for booking more than one multi day tour. We have occasional specials and discounts available on our website.
If you would like to customize your group tour please contact us. Families are most welcome.
Should we tip?
Tipping is not customary in Australia so Tips are NOT Included.
If you feel your guide has provided great service a small tip is appreciated. It encourages the guides who are good at their job to remain in the industry and share excellent experiences with future visitors.
What happens if we are not satisfied with the Tour?
In most cases if you approach your guide an appropriate time, any issues can be resolved immediately. It is far better to try and resolve it at the time than have it affect the enjoyment of your holiday.
If you still feel there is a problem please contact us right away so we can resolve any issue you had on the tour. We will make sure to resolve the issue so that you leave happy.
What if we find the tour for less on another website?
Our prices should the same across the board. Travel sites should not be able to discount without our approval. If you find a genuine offer for the exact tour advertised online for lower price, we will match the price.